Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Manny's Maniacal Jarlsberg Grilled Cheese

Today I was thinking about recipes to make with cheese and I realized that I haven't done any posts about grilled cheese or macaroni and cheese. I decided to fix that. I had a talk with my fantastic, amazing cheese buyer Manny and he told me about a grilled cheese sandwich that he really likes to make. The ingredients are simple:

- Jarlsberg reserve
- Roasted red tomatoes
- 2 slices of bread
- A little bit of mayonnaise

It is the comfort of grilled cheese and tomato soup all wrapped up into one... just heavenly. Here's some information about the cheese:



Cheese: Jarlsberg Reserve
Producer: Tine SA
Region: Norway
Milk: Pasteurized cow's milk
Rennet: Traditional (animal)

It is a Norweigan take on swiss cheese and is a very popular cheese at my counter. The reserve version that I am using has been aged for 12 months to give it a more intense flavor. If you're looking for a sharper swiss style cheese, this is the one for you!

As for the recipe, it is super simple. Set your oven or toaster oven to broil and let it get warmed up. On a cookie sheet (or piece of foil) lay out two pieces of bread and spread some mayo on them. Then, take the roasted tomatoes and put them on the bread like so:


Then slice the cheese... I like thick slices on these open face style grilled cheeses, but if you want it to melt quickly, you can shred it or cut it thinly. Now pop these bad boys in the oven! If you've used thicker slices of cheese, you'll keep them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. If you've thinly sliced or shredded the cheese, go 5-7 minutes. In any case, make sure you keep an eye on it. Every oven is different and I don't want your tasty sandwiches to burn!



And behold, the finished product. It's super simple and tasty. I make these for a quick lunch or an appetizer at a party (I just cut them into smaller pieces). The lovely acidity of the roasted tomatoes helps to cut the richness of the ooey gooey melted Jarlsberg. Now through in a nice beer and you're good to go!

I hope this recipe turns out well for everyone who tries it! Until next time, eat, drink and be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment