Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Redwood Hill Cameo

Hello everyone!

Today I get to share with you one of the yummy cheeses I got from the American Cheese Society Conference. It's funny that I had to go all the way to Madison, WI in order to get it because it is a local cheese to me! Don't worry, it's readily available in California, I just hadn't bought cheese for a few days and I was given a TON when I left Wisconsin.


Cheese: Cameo
Producer: Redwood Hill Farm
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Milk: Pasteurized goat's milk
Rennet: Vegetarian


I have had many cheeses from Redwood Hill Farm before but I had never had the pleasure of trying the Cameo. The Cameo is a camembert inspired bloomy rind goat cheese. It has some tasty fresh herbs and peppercorns on the top as well. The wheel that I had was a little bit aged, but not very much. The paste was still pretty firm but had started to develop a tasty herbaciousness (I know that's not a word, but I use it frequently!). It does still taste like goat cheese, but when you add the bloomy rind you get a little bit of mushroomy, earthiness. If you let the wheel age even more, the paste will soften even more and the flavors will become more intense.



I enjoyed the Cameo with some Raincoast Crisps that I had with me. It was quite a tasty treat. I would pair this cheese with a nice sparkling wine or some yummy charcuterie... Darn! That makes me want some salame right now.. :(

Well, this post was short and sweet, but I have plenty more cheese to come. You can find the Cameo at many Whole Foods in the NorCal area. Swing by your local cheese counter and pick up a wheel for yourself!

Until next time, eat, drink and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment