Monday, November 5, 2012

The first post! VBC's Cremont


Hello and welcome to Shootin' the Bries! First, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Leah McFadden and I am an American Cheese Society Certified Cheese Professional as well as the Specialty Team Leader at the Whole Foods Market in San Jose, CA. I've decided to start this blog because I've had several people express interest and I figured this would be a great way to spread my love of cheese to the world. I plan on posting on a variety of cheeses and cheese topics every other day or so. I also want to note that all cheese that I talk about here can be found at the Whole Foods where I work in the cheese department :). Ok, enough talk, let's get to the cheese!



The cheese I am featuring today is the Cremont from Vermont Butter and Cheese Creamery. The creamery is located in - you guessed it - Vermont! I have to tell you, these guys really know their stuff. I have not had a product from them that I don't like. We recently got in a Maple and Sea Salt Cultured Butter from them as well as a Vanilla Bean Creme Fraiche that I'm super excited about. They're incredible, but don't take my word for it, come on by and try them yourself!

As for the cheese, Cremont is named after the "Cream of Vermont". It is a delectable mixed milk cheese in which they use local cow and goat's milk as well as some Vermont cream. As a result, the folks at VBC have created a beautifully balanced and complex cheese. The goat tang sings at the first bite and then is brought back down to earth by the lactic creaminess of the cow's milk and cream. With a very thin geotrichum bloomy rind, beautifully creamy interior and lots of character, this cheese is perfect for any occasion. I also have to mention that the Cremont got a 2nd place ribbon in the "Original Recipe/Open Category - made from sheep's milk or mixed milks" category at the American Cheese Society Conference this year in Raleigh, NC. I was so happy for them! 

I recently brought this cheese to a party and paired it with the Brassfield Sauvignon Blanc and some nice plump holiday grapes. It was a smashing success. I often tell my customers that with this cheese it is far too easy for me to sit and eat the whole wheel if I'm not careful. I invite you all to come by my cheese counter (1146 Blossom Hill Road in San Jose) and try a sample! You won't be disappointed. As an added bonus, right now this cheese is on sale! Normally it's $9.99 per round but now it is only $7.99. I look forward to seeing you all soon - until then, eat, drink and be happy!

-Leah

p.s. I LOVE feedback! If you have any questions or comments or have any topics that you would like me to cover, please leave me a comment or email me at leah.mcfadden@wholefoods.com. Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment