Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last Post of 2013! The Delicious Alpha Tolman

Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

I'm so excited to be wrapping up my day because I know that I have a few fantastic cheeses that I will be eating tonight! One of the cheeses that will most likely be gracing my cheese plate will be the Alpha Tolman, which I had the pleasure of tasting a couple of days ago. It is an absolutely amazing cheese... but I wouldn't expect anything else from the folks at the Cellars at Jasper Hill.

 

Cheese: Alpha Tolman
Producers: Jasper Hill Creamery
Location: Greensboro, VT
Milk: Raw cow's milk
Rennet: Traditional (animal)

 
 

The Alpha Tolman is an Alpine style cheese that is named after Mr. Alpha Tolman who was a dairy farmer in Greensboro, VT (where the creamery is located) who, among other philanthropic acts, built the town library in 1900.

The cheese itself is quite a treat. It is a washed rind cheese, but not super stinky like many of the same cheeses in that family. The natural rind that it develops is more brown and "dusty" as opposed to orange and sticky. By developing this type of rind, the cheese is able to develop an earthy, nutty and buttery flavor that is found in cheeses like Gruyere or Raclette. If you're a fan of these cheeses, you can use the Alpha Tolman in the same way that you would use those cheeses. Think fondue, or melt it over grilled pineapple, pickles or any other savory food of your choice.


I was thoroughly impressed with this cheese and I recommend it for any cheese plate regardless of the season. Most of the stores in the Northern California/Reno region should have this cheese in stock right now and would be a wonderful treat at any New Year's party.

On to 2014! I look forward to continuing to spread the cheese love next year. Thank you for reading and until next time, eat, drink and be happy!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment