Thursday, March 13, 2014

London Truckle - A hockey puck cheese?

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I was watching the San Jose Sharks play the Montreal Canadians two nights ago and was reminded of a hockey puck-looking cheese that I had in my fridge, the London Truckle. This 7oz little guy definitely did a good job of playing hide and seek in my vegetable crisper, so I was pleased to find that it was tucked safely behind a large piece of Comte.


 
Cheese: London Truckle
Producer: Westminster
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
Milk: Pasteurized cow's milk
Rennet: Traditional (animal)


Once you get past the thick black wax a nice, yellow paste is revealed. The paste is on the yellow side because the milk that is used to make this cheese is from grass fed cows who graze on the English countryside. The yellow coloring is derived from the carotenoids that the cows ingest by eating grass. Pretty cool right?

This cheddar is aged for one year  and is really quite a fun cheese. I have had several cheddars in my day and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the flavor of the London Truckle. The cheese was quite nutty, buttery and sharp while not being overly salty. The paste was also particularly smooth due to the milling process used to make this cheese.


I could envision this cheese being used in many different ways, but I went the classic route and had it with apples and some crusty delicious bread. It definitely would melt well, so feel free to experiment with it! I think I may just have one of these guys on my next cheese board. They're a nice, small format cheese that adds a little color and dimension to your board - along with killer flavor.

Most Whole Foods in Northern California should have this cheese in their case at the moment, so be sure to swing by the counter and ask. I hope you all have a wonderful week... until next time, eat, drink and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment