Friday, July 25, 2014

Willoughby

Hello everyone!

I hope you all had an incredible week. I'm definitely excited for the weekend to begin. Last week when I was visiting the cheese counter at my local Whole Foods, I noticed that a cheese of which I am a HUGE fan, was on special. I really have no problem paying full price for good cheese, but it is always a nice surprise when one of your favorites is on sale. The cheese I'm referring to is the Willoughby.



Cheese: Willoughby
Producer: Originally Marisa Mauro at Ploughgate Creamery but has been adopted by the folks at Jasper Hill Creamery
Location: Greensboro, Vermont
Milk: Pasteurized cow's milk
Rennet: Traditional (animal)


It had been a while since I had tasted the Willoughby, but I remembered that I really loved this cheese and my memory served me correctly. It is a washed rind cheese that isn't super stinky and has a really great flavor. The rind is very thin, so it doesn't pass on a huge amount of flavor, but it does add to the slightly funky deliciousness.The paste has a fruity, creamy flavor which is a perfect balance to the slightly tangy rind.


I've seen the paste described as "pudding-like" and I think that describes the cheese perfectly. It is relatively firm for a small washed-rind cheese (only 8 ounces!) and maintains shape very well. As it gets closer to room temperature, it does soften up quite a bit, but you won't see it oozing all over your cheese plate.

The Willoughby pairs very well with a lighter bodied red such as Pinot Noir or Merlot. Other folks who has reviewed this cheese also recommend Saisons if you're in a beer mood.

This cheese is on sale at any of the Northern California/Reno stores now and the promotion will only last for a few more days. Don't miss out! Go to your nearest WFM cheese counter and grab a wheel today. You will not be disappointed. Until next time, eat, drink and be happy!

p.s. I have launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to get Shootin' the Bries, LLC up and running! If you'd like to donate, please visit https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613925428/shootin-the-bries-llc-cheese-catering-and-consulti

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment